Thursday, January 3, 2013

The Raclette

I am currently trying to put together a post for the amazing trip to France and Italy that Hubs and I took last month. In the meantime, I will share one of the things that I absolutely fell in love with: the Raclette. 

Hubs and I were invited to two dinner parties by his Parisian friends and both dinners involved this magnificent device. My reputation must have preceded me because everyone was so excited that they had planned a dinner party for us that centered around cheese. So, basically each person has their own little dish, and they put any combination of cheese inside and the slide it inside the heated plates. On top is a grill that you can use for the meats, veggies, or whatever that is accompanying the cheese. So when the cheese is melted to your desire, you take your little dish out and pour it or scrape it out (the word raclette is derived from the French term racler-to scrape) over your food. If one was to do it properly, you would actually heat the cheese itself and then scrape the melted portion from the non-melted portion. It's very similar to fondue, but I liked it better because not everyone is forced to eat the same cheese as everyone else. You get to be creative. Also, it's simple to do with just two people.

I loved it so much that I bought one when I got home. Thanks to Amazon for pricematching with Wal-Mart.com



 

No comments:

Post a Comment